With food and friendship at the heart of our mission, we discovered that many of our clients have unmet needs that threaten their independence and sometimes their very safety. In response, we developed programs providing additional aid and advocacy:
- Over time, we have developed strong collaborative relationships with other social service organizations and religious groups such as Catholic Social Services, Episcopal Community Services, Deliverance Evangelistic Church, the Salvation Army and others.
- Operation Quick Serve provides interim meals and outreach services to those waiting to be matched to a volunteer visitor.
- We provide free meals for family members who care for seriously ill or disabled loved ones through our Caregiver Support Program.
- For our many clients with health issues, we provide supplemental foods such as orange juice, soup, Ensure, etc. so that they are receiving the necessary vitamins and minerals, and calories.
- AFF provides grants of $200 to inner-city schools so that they can purchase the supplies necessary to participate in the Breakfast Bag Project In which students assemble bags of non-perishable breakfast items and a home-made greeting card for distribution to those in need.
- Our demonstration/production kitchen provides a venue for group cooks to cover any shortfall in the meal supply and to ensure variety when needed.
- AFF provides essential items such as a working oven or freezer, air conditioner or fan, extermination services, emergency funding for utility bills, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, reflective address numbers, door sensor alarms, and personal sanitary items. We also ensure that necessary home repairs such as fixing a lock or toilet are completed. We pay for the materials and if a staff member or volunteer is not available, we hire a contractor.
- If our clients qualify for special assistance or support from other agencies, we help them access those programs.
- We send birthday greeting cards to our client friends and distribute donated Gifts of Warmth such as new afghans, sweaters, robe, personal items, and slippers for special holidays. Each client also receives a poinsettia at the beginning of the holiday season.